Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Life... Matt's Entertainment

Wow! It’s been a crazy couple of weeks since graduation. Including:
  • Site-seeing in Nauvoo
  • Ditto in Chicago
  • 14 hour drive from Milwaukee to Chapel Hill… with scenery provided by every hick town along the way
  • Setting up shop in Chapel Hill
  • A quick trip from Chapel Hill to DC
  • A quick trip back from DC to Chapel Hill to fly home to Utah today
I’ll pull out the GPS at some point to give you all the nerdy stats but suffice it to say, a lot of time was spent in the car. Which normally would have caused me to go insane, but luckily I had Matt as a travel partner… There was never a dull moment, including:

1) On a rainy day in NC I send Matt from the car to the apartment to get some paper so that we can formalize our plan for the day. Matt speedily returns from the apartment holding 2 sheets of unfolded white paper out in front of him. As he carefully avoided the trees the torrential downpour was unleashed on these poor flailing pieces of paper. (Now some say that I'm a patient man… but the other 99% of the population would disagree with them). As he gets in the car, it takes all my self control to say (only slightly snarkily), “Matt! What are you doing?” Matt gets this grin on his face like it’s free burrito day at Beto’s and pulls two other pieces of paper out of his coat… apparently this is his idea of a joke… he walked the rest of the day…


2) I had to get my brakes changes the day we left for DC, so as I do so I'm scouring the internet for a deal on a hotel room. Now a deal on a hotel room in DC isn’t like a deal on a hotel room in a lot of other places. It’s more like a game of let’s see how close to $125/night we can get without ending up in a part of DC that looks like the backdrop for a post-apocalyptic movie.



Finally after a good 30 minutes of searching I stumble across the hotel on the right. It is called The Churchill, and was built as a luxury hotel at the turn of the century. The pictures are the exterior of the building and the lobby of the hotel. The best part is that I found the room for just under my target… We arrive at the hotel, and for two days I have trouble falling asleep at night because I feel like I stole something… as we’re packing up to go Matt says, “This place is nice and all, but I don’t think it’s that much better than a Hampton…” To which I lovingly responded, “Fine next time we’ll find something a little nicer for you.”


Most of the above stories are true… Matt was a fantastic help and the move would’ve been literally impossible without the big guy… But don’t tell him I said that, otherwise we’ll all be getting wet note paper for the next 40 years.

2 comments:

Mal Pal said...

love it. please read the comments on my last post to see who reads my blog...

Natalie said...

I love that I just read this aloud to Matt and he's still trying to tell me how crappy the hotel is while I'm oooing and awwing over the pictures. I think the only thing that could have made this trip better would have been me bossing you all around.