SC with some friends from work. The weekend went like this... This is a picture I took of Charleston from the top floor of a hotel we stopped at one night.I was on-call on Thursday. Meaning I work up at 4:30 AM, and work from 5:30AM to 11:30 AM on Friday (30 work hours total). Get home, pack, finish some work from home. Leave for Charleston at 4PM (~36hours awake)... I sleep for the first 2 hours. Arrive at Charleston at 8:00PM on Friday, go out with friends until 3:00AM on Saturday. Get up at 9:00AM Saturday and go to the Beach until 4:00PM. Head downtown for dinner, go on a walking tour of the city. Go out with friends again until 1:00AM, then drive four hours back to NC so that I could go to church and my buddy could be on call. I drove while my friend slept so that he was as rested as possible for call (you have to make sacrifices to have fun.... My youngest brother can tell you all about it... he’d sacrifice ANYTHING for fun).
Story.... We decide to take a walking tour of the city of Charleston,
that supposedly details haunted buildings in Charleston. What better way to kick off a night than heading out at 9:00PM and hearing scary stories. Here’s how I envisioned it... a guy looking like Vincent Price would take us around scary buildings in Charleston, as we jumped every time we heard an ominous board creak. However, in reality... our tour-guide (Stew) was more like Matt Damon from the Informantdressed in khakis shorts, a khaki shirt, and (you guessed it) a khaki hat. The outfit was topped off with copious amounts of sweat, and the tour consisted of walking past (not into) “haunted” buildings, as Stew told us 3 historical stories and 1 anecdotal story (that was originally past on by none other than Stew Jr.).,
Stew’s story telling ability also consisted of the
recitation of these stories complete with awkward, forced pauses for dramatic affect. (Note: these pauses were often ill-timed and just long enough to be annoying). Let’s just say, it wasn’t exactly “enthralling.” In fact, it was boring enough at certain points that, believe it or not, my friends and I become... ummm... disruptive?... Literally, I think it took about 2 minutes before my first obnoxious comment. It went something like this...Stew takes roll of all the people who have paid to be on the tour, and the following exchange occurs (a picture I took during the tour of the renovated basement of a building 2 stories above where a pirate dungeon used to be).
Stew: I would like to welcome you a tour of historic Charleston. Charleston was founded in 1670, and consists of (rattles off statistics about the number of original buildings that exist from the 1700’s, 1800’s and early 1900’s). Do any of your have any guesses about what the most historical city in the U.S. is?
Simultaneous - Everyone in the group with a pulse: Ummm... Charleston?...
Simultaneous - The Lady without a pulse: Ummmm....
Stew: I’d also like to remind everyone of the city of Charleston’s motto, Aedes
Mores Juraque Curat (She cares for her temples, customs, and rights), but she does not care for her sidewalks, roads, pavements, alleys or paths. And believe you me, this tour is a lot better vertically, than it is horizontally. So please be careful as you walk this evening, and watch your step so that there aren’t any injuries due to stumbling or falling.... (one of the soon to become patented pauses)....Me: Wow!... That’s a long motto...
Everyone but Stew: Laughing....
Stew: Still pausing...
1 comment:
We were just really surprised to see that you made the cut on the latest GGW video. Congrats!
Post a Comment