Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What check?

So I have a friend from high school, she now teaches high school (confusing I know). She teaches a class for students interested in health professions. So she asked me to come and speak to her class. I love speaking to high school kids, mostly because I feel like I'm doing penance for the 3 years that I spent leaving school. Don't get me wrong, I had an awesome time leaving high school, but I feel like I owe something to myself for the creating an abyss in my mind where my high school education was supposed to go (hence my affinity for reading books that I should've read in high school).

Back to the story... She asked me to speak to her kids about what medical school is like. I had actually spoken to her class in the past, so I told her I would. Well what started out at a 30 minute presentation to her class, quickly turned into 2-1hour presentations to all the students at her school. This called for a more laborious approach to the presentation. I spent a few hours throwing together some powerpoint slides and notes, and showed up ready to roll. I spoke for about an hour each time without any problem... unless you consider putting half the kids to sleep a problem (I don't!). After the presentation was over, I had the following exchange with my friend:

Me: Friend, thanks for having me over
Friend: Yeah, thanks for coming
Me: No problem, I never knew anyone in medicine prior to med school so I'm glad to help. Hopefully, the kids thought it was beneficial.
Friend: Yeah, I think it was really good, and it seemed liked they really enjoyed it...
Me: Bull#%&#, but thanks anyway...
Friend: Yeah and if you give me your address, I can send you your check.
Me:....
Friend: Yeah, we have money in our budget for speakers.
Me:.... Ummm, for this?
Friend: Yeah, you did a really good job. And by the way, when you type this up, please don't start all of my sentences with "yeah." I think it makes me sound stupid.
Me: Wouldn't dream of it...

So not only did I have fun chatting with the high schoolers, but apparently there's a major award associated with it. I couldn't be happier... So I guess what I learned is that money can buy happiness.

2 comments:

Mal Pal said...

it had been too long... I need to hear more. I love you

Mal Pal said...

*has