
Have you ever seen those shirts that say, “Second place is the first loser?” (There’s no question mark on the shirt… I'm asking you if you’ve seen them). I would say that, for the first 28 years of my life, that particular saying could not have been more true. However, a funny thing happened on March 19, 2009… no not Nate’s birthday (although that might have been funny… I have no way of knowing). I'm talking about match day, when medical students around the country find out where they’re going to do their residency.
On match day, I learned that I’d be going North Carolina to continue my training, and that's where things got tricky. North Carolina was my second choice (do you see where I'm going?), but it turned out to be the first winner!
I couldn’t be happier, as North Carolina has a fabulous mix of nice residents, beautiful location, and exciting sports options (3 of the things I look for every time I decide where to go for residency). Although, the answer was somewhat bittersweet, because I found out that I would be spending the next 5-7 years away from my family. On the bright side, I feel like this will give me a great opportunity to end up in Utah eventually. So I’ll accept the fact that I will need to enduce ocassional airline travel in order to see them, especially if it gives me the the chance to return there in the end.
On match day, I learned that I’d be going North Carolina to continue my training, and that's where things got tricky. North Carolina was my second choice (do you see where I'm going?), but it turned out to be the first winner!
I couldn’t be happier, as North Carolina has a fabulous mix of nice residents, beautiful location, and exciting sports options (3 of the things I look for every time I decide where to go for residency). Although, the answer was somewhat bittersweet, because I found out that I would be spending the next 5-7 years away from my family. On the bright side, I feel like this will give me a great opportunity to end up in Utah eventually. So I’ll accept the fact that I will need to enduce ocassional airline travel in order to see them, especially if it gives me the the chance to return there in the end.
The whole thing got me thinking about seconds that ended up being firsts, here’s the list (it may not be 100% inclusive, but it's a good start):
- Me (This is where I am grateful no one reads this... because I can make outrageous claims)
- The Godfather II (in my opinion)
- George Bush II (I mean I can’t even really remember the older one, say what you want but the second one was memorable)
- WW II (way more memorable in my opinion)
- Terminator II (so they say, but neither is memorable to me)
- The OC Season II (trust me)
- Boyz II Men (it’s a stretch I know…)
- Derek Jeter (Way better than Billy Martin)
Note: Please just ignore Home Alone 2, Karate Kid 2, Look Who’s Talking 2, or any of the litany of horrible sequels known to mankind.
4 comments:
what about land before time 2, matrix 2, dale earnhardt jr
Brian, It depends which list you're trying to put them...
Personally, I could not be more thrilled with UNC. I already told you that it is going to work out great for me in the vacation department. The folks in Chapel Hill are lucky to have you coming their way. They made a great choice!
Post a Comment