
For the past 4 years I’ve had church at 1:00PM, which is like literally having a 6 day week. You never do anything before 1 o’clock church, and by the time it’s over at 4:00PM and you get home, change, and eat it’s 6:00PM and the day is gone. It really ruins your ability to do anything else on Sunday (I of course am only referring to visiting the sick, my family, and other wholesome activities… and I'm definitely not referring to watching football or other unholy activities).
This late start time has never made arriving on time to church any easier. I'm usually about 5-10 minutes late once every four weeks (which is a big deal for me as I'm usually very punctual… I'm not bragging just saying that the late days are an aberration). So this past Sunday was my 25%, as I'm hurrying to church and driving like Mario Andretti or my brother Brian (they're equivalent). I glance off to the side of the road and there’s a Hispanic guy lifting a dead deer (road kill… definitely not shot) from the side of the road into the back of his Ford Explorer. This deer was not limber and newly run-over… full rigor mortis had set in and it was like watching someone try to move a 150 pound cardboard cut out. I couldn’t help but feel bad for someone that desperate, but at the same time be happy that I don’t live in Newton (where I'm sure this type of thing is a lot more common).
FYI: The above pictures comes from British Columbia's Wildlife Roadkill Identification Guide. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that it is accurate as this is only the 2008 edition, and I have no idea how much roadkill changes from year to year.
This late start time has never made arriving on time to church any easier. I'm usually about 5-10 minutes late once every four weeks (which is a big deal for me as I'm usually very punctual… I'm not bragging just saying that the late days are an aberration). So this past Sunday was my 25%, as I'm hurrying to church and driving like Mario Andretti or my brother Brian (they're equivalent). I glance off to the side of the road and there’s a Hispanic guy lifting a dead deer (road kill… definitely not shot) from the side of the road into the back of his Ford Explorer. This deer was not limber and newly run-over… full rigor mortis had set in and it was like watching someone try to move a 150 pound cardboard cut out. I couldn’t help but feel bad for someone that desperate, but at the same time be happy that I don’t live in Newton (where I'm sure this type of thing is a lot more common).
No comments:
Post a Comment